ASG IRC? RIP?

Have a question? Need help? Ask it here!

Moderator: Advisory Council

Kreth

ASG IRC? RIP?

Post by Kreth » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:15 pm

A little over a year ago, I took a LOA from ASG IRC's USS Aurora sim, under the command of Captain Marina Pike. Today, I was looking on the web, and am unable to find any active sites for this division. Has the IRC group gone belly-up?

Kreth

Anon

No

Post by Anon » Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:27 pm

asg.webhop.org

There, Kreth. Go there.

Lake2

Nostalgia

Post by Lake2 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:14 pm

Stopped in to see if anyone was still alive. I see our IRC friends still check on us. Hi there Anon.

Retired member
Lake

ASGSeth
Site Admin

Post by ASGSeth » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:51 pm

Whoa, life. Not that I've looked at the board in forever...

Anyway, I updated the link on the homepage.

RetFCaptWorf

Post by RetFCaptWorf » Sun May 30, 2004 1:20 am

I was just talking to Reny on AIM... he says it's pretty much dead except now it's just a chat hangout.

It's sad to see ASG just sputter out like this. Of course too, I haven't been around since god knows when. I left, mainly found a life, assumed a more real identity on the Internet (I'm now just Steven), and I'm now the Systems Admin/Editor-in-Chief for ThrillNetwork (an online user community for thrill ride enthusiasts). I started out there as a chat moderator (IRC-based, which helped from my experience on Burghcom/ASG), and I rose through the ranks to become the systems admin and editor-in-chief. I not only keep the servers (yes, we have 3 servers at our disposal) running, but I also oversee a staff of 20+ and keep control of our content, all of which is built around vBulletin 3.0.

I did carry one thing over... eggdrop bot experience. Over there, I have my main bot, called Thrillbot, keeping things together and opping our staff as necessary. I must say it was a very powerful learning experience concerning everything else. We launched a new version of the site in December of 03, and much of that code is mine.

Another thing that I like is that the users are real. Yeah, they have a screen name or username, but our real personalities do show a lot more than I ever seen on ASG. I've had the opportunity to meet some of the members of the site (totaling around 7500), as well as many of the staffers, and it's been great. While I was in college, it even prompted me to work at a couple of amusement parks (Michigan's Adventure and Cedar Point), in which the experiences I can never forget.... ever.

In the meantime, I've graduated from college (Dec. 2002), I'm in the real world (working @ XO Communications as a customer support rep), and keeping up the real life. However, I won't forget my time with ASG... from 1996 to 1999/2000. It's been fun.
Fleet Captain Worf (Ret) (or [Mak])
Where am I now? I go by my real name -- Steven
Systems Administrator/Editor-in-Chief - http://www.thrillnetwork.com | http://www.singlereel.com

ASGSeth
Site Admin

Post by ASGSeth » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:42 pm

I too have migraded to real life more. Damn... I can't remember exactly how long I was part of the ASG and the UFA before it was merged with the ASG. I know it was a while. I had a lot of fun, too, but it seems to have disappeared quietly.

These days I am a college student, I work at the university, and spend a bunch of time with my girlfriend. Actually, I should be working right now, but I'm waiting for this laptop I'm installing Gentoo Linux on to finish the kernel install phase. Plus side projects that I enjoy working on.

I have plans to post all of my sim logs, old newsletters, and anything else in my ASG archive on the website. A time capsule of sorts.

I guess that's about it. The website will be around for years to come, even after the ASG is long gone.

ScottTheHated

Post by ScottTheHated » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:20 pm

Well as much as I hate to say it, ASG has been dead for a long time. Not like I did any good I suppose. But we've all moved on and all that wonderful stuff. I apologize to Seth for any trouble I caused him...although sorry doesn't quite do it. Anywho, the group is dead and all that remains is the site. A sad yet justified end.

My time with the ASG was for the mostpart enjoyable, although the staff did have their problems from time to time. I hope that we can all forgive and forget and maybe, just maybe, one day come back and bring the group to life again.

Commander Scott Iron (forcefully ret.)
*insert various hateful slander towards poster here*

Games
Ensign

Post by Games » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:10 pm

you weren't hated, at least not by some people, i found it enjoyable (especially those long nights up and online lol) it's just certain people didn't like what you did and now because of their ignorance the ASG has died a long and drawn out death with nothing of any good to show, if it could be revived that might be good..but then activity is something that every community faces.

Still i've moved on with my own roleplay community, it's fun and thats whhat i think it should be.
It's not whether you win or lose that counts: it's how much pain you inflict along the way.

Lake2

A thought

Post by Lake2 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:40 pm

Well if all that happens is occasionally people post just to say hi and see how others are doing, I think that it is great that you're keeping the site around Seth.

Iron don't do anything other than consider it all as a learning experience. There are a lot of times that I can remember thinking to myself, "Wow...I can't even maintain my cool in a chat room of all places...".

I don't regret anything, and anyone I talk to who was part of this experience is someone I would gladly talk to any time. I think I will make a habit of visiting the boards. I may just meet more members who I never met while I was in the group.

As for my real life. Well. I guess I always was kind of a slacker. I am in my 12th semester of college and it may just take 14 before I get out of here. What I learned from the ASG besides a thing or two about people and myself, is that I still want to do some writing and maybe I can make a career out of it.

As to getting the group back together. Who knows. With any luck maybe we can at least manage to come back here now and then to feed our sentiments and wind up keeping in touch.

Here's to things working out for all of us...

Lake, A retired member...but always a member. 8)

Treggar2

It's been two years!

Post by Treggar2 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:49 pm

I just looked at the date of some of the posts and it's been almost two years since I've been around.

Hi all!!!

I'm afraid to say I've taken the same road as everyone else and shifted over to real life. The sad thing is I don't even have an internet connection anymore. I moved to my own apartment and decided I didn't use it enough to make it worthwhile. (I'm at work at the moment, trying not to work). If I ever learn to survive on 6 or less hours of sleep, and get a raise, perhaps I'll be back around.

Anyway, it's great to hear from some of you guys (not meaning it's not great to hear from others :D )

And as my parting bit of wisdom. Good leadership or bad leadership, I think our biggest downfall was burning people out. We had people doing 3 to 4 sims a week and as many here have stated, there's also life too.

Hope all is going well,

Treggar

P.S. I think the clones are still lurking around somewhere.

Scott

Post by Scott » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:48 pm

Well, it's good to see you're alive Treg. I spose I'll take you off the ELOA list on the Avalon. =P

I'm still simming. It's something that's an escape from my daily doldrums. One email sim and an IRC sim (which I was just made Acting CO of. 60 days til confirmation!) UCIP is not like the ASG in some aspects...it's more structured. however it still has the awful internal politics. That is one thing I don't miss about the ASG. But hey, to each his own, ne? Anyway, first semester of college is almost over. Scotty is all grown up...which may or may not be a good thing. ::grins evily:: I still use my AIM name LtCIronASG, so you crazy nuts can IM me anytime you want. ^_^

Scott

ASGSeth
Site Admin

Post by ASGSeth » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:05 pm

I've never been much of a political man... that's my weakness, I suppose. I'm better at the technical stuff and things. If anyone ever watches CSI, and how Gil's team got broken up, that's the kind of political power play I just don't like and I'm no good at anyway.

Glad to hear you're still simming. I'm actually in my last year of college; last semester of full classes, and I'll wrap it all up this fall. It feels kind of weird because now I have to think about a real career and stuff. =) I was just doing some site maintenance today and removing some of those crap spam posts that like to show up from time to time. I also just renewed the domain name, so the site and everything under it will still be around.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:26 am

It's good to see that some degree of life still flows through here.

I must admit it was a shame that ASG died like it did. It was always a good place. Unlike most of the groups out there, not only was it not limited to one genre or two, it actively encouraged variety.

Here's a toast -- to one day watching ASG be born once more from the ashes that remain after its passing. Cheers.

ASGSeth
Site Admin

Post by ASGSeth » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:11 pm

If anyone wants to give a shot to bringing the ASG back I'd be more than happy to give a new advisory council access to the database, fleet wide announcements, and so forth just like before. I've got some old computers (m68k Debian linux systems) that would make a good IRC server if anyone wants that, and the website still has a free home here.

The IRC division just says "closed", the other divisions disappeared a long time ago, and we're pretty much dead in the water as far as I know... but if I'm exceeding my authority, feel free to say so.

Joe
Cadet

Post by Joe » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:29 pm

You're not exceeding anything. What you've said is fact.

BUT.

Some of the people from the IRC branch still linger in their last server, I think. The address is: irc.stormcenter.net.

If you have the time, Seth, to let one of them know of all those available options you brought up, maybe they will agree to help kickstart ASG back up.

Or maybe not. Maybe one day, Neon will pop out of nowhere and decide to give it a go. Maybe even that other chick, the hamster one -- Kaeri or Kaeori or something. History is bound to repeat itself, they do say.