What encouraged you to want to SIM?

Have a question? Need help? Ask it here!

Moderator: Advisory Council

asgneon
Cadet

What encouraged you to want to SIM?

Post by asgneon » Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:52 am

Question: What encouraged you to want to SIM?

I encourage all and any to share their experiences - because each is unique and quite interesting - to let me know what it is that exposed you to this world of imagination and fantasy and what it was that kept you here.

• ... some merely clicked on a link that brought them here looking for a Star Trek image of a starship

... some wanted more than just another chat discussion about Britney Spears and decided that talking about quantum physics and the balance of power in the galaxy sometime a few centuries from now seemed more exciting

... some love to just randomly click and see where it is they'll end up and words just entrap them into reading on and on
All this may be true and when you think of your own experiences and share them here, also tell us what brought you here and most importantly, what aspects of simming and role-playing - the genre itself - that has made you love to come back week after week (... day after day) and do it all over again.

What is it that brought you here and what is it that drives you to want to SIM? Who influenced you and how can your own experiences help future members? What advice was given to you and what advice do you have?
Admiral Darren S. Neon, retired
Alliance Simulation Group
admneon@yahoo.com
http://www.evilpeach.com/

Games
Ensign

Post by Games » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:46 pm

hmmmm, can't remember why i joined really
It's not whether you win or lose that counts: it's how much pain you inflict along the way.

asgneon
Cadet

Re: Games

Post by asgneon » Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:39 am

>
> Re: on Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:46 pm
> From: Games, Somewhere in the Gamma Quadrant
>
> hmmmm, can't remember why i joined really
>

Uh huh... I think you do remember or at the very least, I believe you can recall early experience with the ASG. Maybe someone caught your fancy and in curiosity, followed them into our neck of the woods, being overwhelmed by our wonderful hosts and completely forgot you followed them in...

That happened to me maybe once... or twice in the past but I tell you, I've learned my lesson. Introduce yourself or at least say hello before you decide to get into more trouble than you're ready for... sudden appearences have sparked some great moments... that's how Admiral Neon was wed a few years back online - two weddings, one here and another in her homestead, but then again - that is also how we became suddenly widowed. A great time in the world of role-playing and overacting yet sad that we had to say goodbye to perfectly wonderful and well established characters.

... the end of the saga is although we had only planned on my character dying there and hers here... in the end we grew separated ourselves. Commanding a starship or taking a night off in the local pub all of a sudden seems much more different when you have a wife (and that's just an internet wife... can you imagine the catastrophies of one in reality joining your sim divison? For those who've done it, I commend you ;) ...).

Don't get me wrong, in the end I was able to cast interests in our friends to come see and experience our dual-wedded lives however it required a lot of personal time, planning, last minute adjustments ... internet children? oh no... but oh well, c'est la vie. It's nice to have a mission briefing of ... talk to the XO, CO's babysitting... and getting more advice about child birth and child care than any fictional character ever wanted to know...

You have a similar story? Maybe one of our really, really cool (seriously, now!) mugs or t-shirts passed your way and you just said,"Way Cool!" I'd love to hear that story - that'd definitely, without a doubt make my day. :P
Admiral Darren S. Neon, retired
Alliance Simulation Group
admneon@yahoo.com
http://www.evilpeach.com/

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:43 pm

I believe I joined because I had a love of StarTrek. After that, I found that Babylon 5, and other things were quite interesting.

Games
Ensign

Post by Games » Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:34 am

Uh huh... I think you do remember or at the very least, I believe you can recall early experience with the ASG. Maybe someone caught your fancy and in curiosity, followed them into our neck of the woods, being overwhelmed by our wonderful hosts and completely forgot you followed them in...
Actually, i can't remember, something tells me it was because of star trek but it seems along time ago when i joined and the late nights just interfere with my memory and i end up forgetting things. (it's what happens when you're from the UK)
It's not whether you win or lose that counts: it's how much pain you inflict along the way.

Treggar
Ensign

Re: What encouraged you to want to SIM?

Post by Treggar » Sun Dec 01, 2002 11:41 am

asgneon wrote:Question: What encouraged you to want to SIM?
Let's see, I would be one of the infamous survivors of the email division. I went looking for something related to Star Wars and got sucked into Rogue Squadron which was led by Reny at the time. The email sim ran well for several months and was quite enjoyable until people started vanishing. In an attempt to keep the sim running I ran headlong into the AOL branch and kept the sim going for another couple of months. Since then I've just continued to hang around and drop in all over the place.

Treggar
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

ASGSeth
Site Admin

Post by ASGSeth » Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:34 pm

Way back in the day when I joined up it was pretty much by chance. I was playing around on AOL (and this nifty new modem thing my parents just got for the home computer) and I ran across Dal in one of the Star Trek chat rooms where he was sending out recruiting IM's.

Eventually that group, the UFA, become the AOL branch of the ASG. I loved Star Trek, and was in to creative writing Simming basically combined those two, except that it refines that skill by forcing you to think on your feet.

~Seth

Mack McGuire

Why me

Post by Mack McGuire » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:54 am

I joined up starting out in the Star Wars area from a close friend of mine. He was really big into it and I would sometimes come over to his house and watch him go into a sim room and kick the crap out of people. It looked like a lot of fun and when I finally got the internet I got around to many differant areas. Mostly room sims and joinning guilds, but eventually I got involved in Email based groups because I was deployed overseas and chat rooms/IMs weren't possable.
I came hear after active duty to try and find some more exciting adventures (so to speak) while still not really jumping back into the room simming world.
Corporal Mack McGuire
Star Fleet Marine Corps