Should we keep going with Fates?

A medieval fantasy/RPG sim.

Moderator: Advisory Council

Jaffo
Cadet

Should we keep going with Fates?

Post by Jaffo » Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:47 am

This is pretty much just an echo of the FWA I'm sending out right after I finish posting. Lake, Solr and I would all very much like to see Fates continue, as would I think all of you. I know Hunter and Treggar have both made comment on it. I talked it over with Solr, and with Lake since Fates is very much his baby, and neither one of them has a problem with me taking up the reins to keep Fates going. I should note that if everyone is still interested in Fates that Lake will still be a part of the creative process. I might run the sim, but I'll be deferring to him on a lot of things since he's the mastermind behind this all. So, what'll it be?

--Jaffo

P.S. Yeah yeah, I know I could just toss up a poll, but I'd much rather hear what people have to say/are thinking than look at mere statistics.
--Jaffo

The Effervescent
The TechnoMage
The Adjutant
The Appropriately Adorable
The Second (I was a close runner up to The One, but I failed the Trenchcoat Swirling final exam)

Hunter2299
Cadet

Post by Hunter2299 » Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:54 pm

I'd Like to, and if Lake is Ok with us continuing then I say we do it.
There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men are forced to meet. ---William F. Halsey

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. ---Confucius

ASGVicky
Cadet

fate of Fates

Post by ASGVicky » Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:15 pm

I'm all for continuing. I can now look at my computer and not think of work. Yes!

Games
Ensign

Post by Games » Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:26 pm

i'd love to see it Fates continue
It's not whether you win or lose that counts: it's how much pain you inflict along the way.

Treggar
Ensign

Post by Treggar » Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:28 pm

It took a while to find this topic but I found it. Sure! Keep it going. Perhaps we can build on it.

Treggar
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Jaffo
Cadet

Post by Jaffo » Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:52 pm

Alright folks, I apologize for the delay in getting things rolling but I was out with Val for the weekend pulling a double matinee and ticking by the hours being lazy and cozy, like a fat Jaffo-cat. I know Lake has also been rather busy, if not wiped-out, but he set the collective ball rolling via e-mail today and had a very good idea as to letting you guys read this. Think of this as the Cliffnotes of the Fates Script. Much of the nuances and little details will get worked out in the actual posting, but this should help you find your niche and prevent you from feeling like things are stagnating, etc. If you have any questions, suggestions, concerns, etc., as always I'm available so feel free to either post something or e-mail me at JaffoUnplugged@aol.com. All this being said, and Lake's e-mail following this shpiel, I hope to get the posts started within the week once everyone's had a chance to get caught up and do some thinking.

"(remember this is all flexible....and I by no means had to have things this way.)
Okay. Basically. Tireas is a halfling(elf human) brought into being by three pretty strong "fallen" wizards. They hunt him now. Whether Marcus and/or others manage to slay the three of them....Kosh and I talked, and decided that Tireas was going to be used exactly how the fallen wizards intended.

This will happen while in an alternate world, attempting to eliminate the portal that Saba-Reul has created for himself. I didn't really care what happened there....except that though they succeed in what they intended to do...Saba Reul is not eliminated in time, and he has found a way to remain on earth. Not to mention, Tireas is now posessed by a rather wicked new evil. I also intended to have that wicked being trap Marcus in the alternate dimension to give Hunter something to do. He will have to fight, and think, his way to another portal.

Meanwhile, topside......having won the battle/seige of Estrelle, the rest of the companions are significantly more powerful, but find themselves still completely out gunned, and forced to bide time while Marcus tries to find a way out(they are vaguely aware of his predicament as Marcus can talk to the much ascended Naaza and Kavu). Speaking of Naaza and Kavu, they're becoming pretty bad ass by this point. So let Treggar and Games run with it. But Leiron discovers two things. Number one, he finally realizes that Saba Reul is his necromanced brother Roaan. The only living son from the king's first marriage(Stunji, a wicked sorceror monk) was the one who resurrected him. I intended to have Leiron kill Stunji, providing Roaan/Saba-Reul/The Dark One his ability to return fully to earth, with significantly re-focused power. oops. But Leiron learns something else. His sword is the power that caused Roaan to fall. He has to go on his own quest to find the armor that protects the weilder of the sword from it's infectious hate.

Basically, four forces are struggling to regain their strength. Saba-Reul can't fight three opponents with his human slave armies. Both of his initial assaults were failures, his army in the North losing to Leiron's brother Imek, and his beast horde being slaughtered at the walls of Estrelle. He is busy using his brother Stunji's documentation to necromance himself a more powerful host.

Tireas(posessed) is busy accumulating his own forces. He quickly reveals that the actions of the Dessned had been the will of his three fallen wizards all along. He has resurected the three, and enslaved the dessned and their powerful brothers the dark dessned. If this were not enough, when Marcus finds his way out of the alternate world....Tireas(posessed) pulls out a huge army of cursed souls from it.

The Elves and Dwarves have called council. They will both join the struggle with all their might. Just one problem. Their power has been hidden from them for centuries. Their once almight artifacts and spells are now lost relics. A quest is launched to find as many of these relics as possible before the three evil forces can launch their death strike. The design of the relics I was going to leave to your creative minds.

The humans for their part join the quest to find the relics, and of course have little battles here and of course the land has been clouded. An early harvest shows that the many humans will not last the winter. A desperate king, and his first heir Imek launch a desperate and ill fated assault on the dark ones layer in Altem. But this luckily provides a bit of a diversion for Naaza and Kavu who Saba-Reul had decided to torment for the defeat at Estrelle. The two are spared...and before they wake, have transcended their former abilities.

The Orcs and etc. Well these poor fools are wicked and cruel, but unfortunately their evil just does not quite cut it. Saba-Reul and Tireas(posessed) were both attempting to bring them under their control. Instead of fighting each other over this. They "Agree" to use their combined influence to convince the Orc leader to seek out quest goers everywhere and stop them from finding their relics.

Saba-Reul and Tireas(posessed) being so powerful, you may wonder what pre-occupies them that they kind simply wipe everyone out? Well...turns out...two things happen during the main course of events. Saba-Reul is visited by Leiron, encased in glowing white, silver and gold armor, and weilding the dark one's sword from his life on earth. Leiron's talk of the past weakens the dark one's will for a while. Leiron barely escapes...and Saba-Reul is left hiding in his layer..as he knows a confrontation with any of the main powers(Tireas, Naaza, the Supreme Elf Ward, Kavu, or Marcus and a few others) would be deadly in his weakened state.

Tireas(posessed) is haunted by his true self, this is aided by the lost ward. The old elf is being slowly drained by this, and both he and the power that posesses Tireas knows that this is true.

I intended in the end...to have one massive battle. At the head of their respective armies, the elves and the humans would face the necromanced evil forces of Saba-Reul and the posessed Tireas.
I also intended for the end to be quite happy and yummy. With Tireas being restored, and Leiron(and family,even those in the afterlife) being able to see each other and speak as a gift from the now restored by dying Roaan(who was Saba-Reul). Leiron with his wickedly powerful armor and sword rules the realm of humans. Tireas, and Marcus I thought it might be cool if they retire to a life of journey and wonder, until their names are once again forgotten by many.

Well that's it. I know I left out a lot of characters. But it was hard to find a place for all. I actually had Jaffo being instrumental in the finding and use of a few of the relics. I had Brenna saving more than a few of the more visible characters from certain death. I had War's character to add in...but he never posted. So you may want to talk to him if he returns. And Zach's character I intended to be instrumental in finding and using a couple of the relics as well. And of course...at the end...one giant friggin clash.

I would love to just write this myself in book form. But you know...it isn't like I'm the next Tolkien. So screw it. You guys have at it. Maybe even show this to them so THEY have some direction this time."